Saturday, September 12, 2015

Acts 2:45

"...and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need."

With the goods you withhold in your house, bedroom, car, whatever it may be, do you know someone that is in need of any of your belongings or valuables? Not from a movie, or getting on the highway and someone is standing around with a sign. I mean, someone that is in great need of anything that you pocess. Someone that you probably see everyday. I'm sure there is someone. Can't think it off the top of your head but you may even see them tomorrow. How about, do you have a multiples of any one item? If so, do you really need the other three? Do you have enough shirts in your closet to get you through an entire month without doing laundry? I'm not going to tell you to sell or give away your belongings that you have excess in, but that question you may want to ask yourself is, "do you need all of those items?" It's a hard question, but if you didn't have much to live with, you would be able to answer that question with ease. In acts it talks about it a little differently. The people gathered together, had all things in common, sold their possessions and goods, divided their possessions and goods amongst the ones that were in need. When I first started studying this verse, I felt convicted. As though I know so many people that are in need and I've said no to giving away. Not so much as giving away but just holding onto all my goods. I had no need for so much of it, but yet I still hang onto it all. I felt convicted because I know so many people that are in need and I do nothing about it. I can honestly say that when I get back home, I will be getting rid of a lot of stuff. The conviction I felt from this verse, was different than your daily conviction of sin. As all sin that I'm convicted of hits my heart, this conviction hit me deep, tore a hole dead center, and left a scar. Not a pretty scar either. So much of my belongings are wants, not needs. I am so thankful for all my belongings and I couldn't deny that. The question that keeps hitting me is whether I need all of that stuff? If there is someone I know that needs something, and that something is something that I wanted. I can honestly say that I know many people that have needs and that I can meet those needs with the stuff I have. Tonight I will pray for forgiveness of my selfishness, and pray that when I get home for my ten days in between training and field time that I will make the decisions to give to those in more need than I.  

No comments:

Post a Comment