Saturday, September 12, 2015

Philippians 3:12-13

"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may hold of that of which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead..."

I look at these two verses and am just blown away at how much truth is in them. Paul admits that he isn't perfect, that he presses towards Christ's perfection. He presses forward and forgets of his past to look and to focus at what God has before him. Paul's past was very hectic, he killed Christians, persecuted Jesus as said in acts. He was a real murderer. A lot of us can relate to Paul. When I first noticed that I wasn't perfect, it was kind of easy. That was before I was saved. Now that I am saved, it's even easier. I sin EVERY DAY. I barely know anything compared to Jesus who knows everything. Created everything. 1 Timothy 6:7, "for we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." Everything that you see around you, everything that you can imagine, every gaming system, every out door activity thought of, every item of clothing ever thought of, all of it and everything came from God. Everything! we have brought nothing into this world, and never will. 
As each day I wake up and open up into my devotions I attain more of Gods word every time. Each day that I go through trials and climb mountains I have to rely on Gods strength. Each day that I fight the enemy, it's not me who is fighting, it is God. Each day that He gives me new breath into my lungs, and the feeling of the heat of the sun, I look towards Him to get me out of bed. I've realized that I can't press on alone. I press on to take the first step, He helps me with the rest. I press on to speak the first word, He finishes the sentence. I press on to take the first bite, He feeds me the rest. I continue to press on every day to become more like Christ. From reading His word, loving one another, making sacrifices, and dying to myself. It's never easy when I do it alone. But it definitely gets easier when I lean on Him for the strength and wisdom. When I lean on Him for the love and courage. And as far as I go to achieve perfection, I can comfortably say that I will never reach it until I am in heaven standing next to Jesus. Sitting next to Jesus. 
He asks us to focus on the present that we are given. He asks us to forget the past. It's difficult to forget the past when the devil continues to bring it up and shove it in your face. But it gets easier the more of Gods word I read. We are only given a minute at a time. The next sixty seconds are never promised. For every minute we have to start the process of pressing on to looking towards Him. We wonder around down here on earth pulling our hair out, biting our teeth and slamming doors. God is up there, not laughing but chuckling, kind of a "come on, it's right in front of you" kind of chuckle. He finally says, alright, fine, I'll help you out. Here. Then we can take a step back and look at how silly we were to not see it right in front of us. Aiming towards Christ, picking up our cross, and following Him is never easy. Period. He will put us through struggles and trials, only because He loves us and knows that we can do it. Because of His love, you are reading this right now. Whatever the situation is, but God. Whatever the turmoil is, but God. But God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment