Saturday, September 12, 2015

Philippians 2:5-6

"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God..."

Having the mind of Jesus is impossible. I would very much love to have the mind of Jesus, but I'm not God, and as far as my understanding goes, I wouldn't want to be God. God is God and that is the end of my argument. I'm happy just with God loving me. His love is always enough. He knows what's best for me and what's not. I believe that's enough. If He created the universe in the snap of His fingers, I'm going to believe He knows what's best for me. My parents were my guide growing up, and if I had listened to them, well I wouldn't be the person I am today. I probably wouldn't be in Guatemala serving God right now. It's hard to imagine what would be different, but things are how they are now so I'm not going to worry about it. There is so much that we will never understand about God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Just trying to understand the trinity blows my mind. I've always tried to understand it because in my human nature mindset, it doesn't make any sense. But I believe in Christ, I believe that He is God, and I'm going to not worry about that now. I have way more important things in my life to worry about that God has set in front of me. As of right now, one of those obstacles is forming myself in the image of Christ. Now having the mindset for the mind of Jesus is a different question. Loving as God has loved you is possible, but can be very difficult. It brings up the golden rule to me. "Treat others how you want to be treated." When's the last time that you met someone and treated them how you would like to be treated? It's a difficult question to ask. What's even more difficult is if a person you are talking to has that same mindset and you both want to be treated differently. Take for instance myself, ninety percent of the time I'm thick skinned, sarcastic eighty percent of the time, and am a physical person seventy-five percent of the time, but a brother or sister of mine through Christ is sensitive, doesn't understand sarcasm, and hates being touched even doesn't like shaking hands or giving a high-five. And you both have that same mindset. Okay, I quit. That's tough to think about. It hurts my brain to think about. I don't even know where to begin to answer that question. I could start here or there, and end up, upside down and backwards and sounds like I'm speaking a different language. Okay, I give up, God, I need your help. But I challenge you and myself to do so. Treat others as you would want to be treated. We can't serve one another as Jesus did on the cross, but we can serve one another as He did in an everyday life situation. Reaching for the mindset of Jesus is always a blessing. The more we serve with love as Jesus did, we begin to form ourselves in the image of Christ.
Take up the interests of others. It's almost like celebrating someone's birthday everyday. Yes, I understand that you are not going to know what the stranger in the car next to you wants for their birthday. That's understandable. One thing is for certain, everyone wants to be loved. That may not be their interest at the very moment, but you can always remember to love as God has loved you. For this week I will pray for the mindset and heart to focus on loving others as God has loved me and treating others as I want to be treated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment