Wednesday, August 19, 2015

John 14:15

"If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Jesus says "If you love Me...." When I first read this verse, I came to a pause. My heart skipped a beat, my eyes stopped and pondered at the word "if." Big word if you were to ask me. Now Jesus is asking me. Now God is asking me, if I, I love Him. So I began to think about it. I thought back a ways. I then begin to say, I do, without a doubt that I love You. Here are some reasons. You died for me Jesus, You loved me, You have always been there for me, You are trustworthy and will never let me. No one has ever done that for me except for my parents. Lord, of corse I love You. With all my heart, without a doubt. Through the toughest of times that I have been in, You have always been there next to me. You have given me life, "before You formed me in my mothers womb You knew me; before I was born You sanctified me; You ordained me a prophet to the nations." When I gave up on You, you didn't give up on me. You always gave me mercy when I deserved to be condemned. You said to come and taste the grace, You invited me to be with you in eternity. You invited me to be in complete paradise with You for eternity. You gave me food when I was hungry, you gave me drink when I thirst, You gave me shelter when I had nothing to give back, You gave me clothes when I was naked, You gave me medicine when I was sick, You picked me up when I couldn't walk, Father, You gave me Your Son to save me, to redeem me. You put my heart back together piece by piece when it was broken, shattered into a million pieces. You gave me eyes when I had none. You poured Your love into me when I had none to give to others. Lord, I do love you, with all my heart, without a doubt. 
Then He asks me, "...keep My commandments." After thinking about His first question and answering that, I pondered on His second one. My first thought was, no, I really haven't. I haven't obeyed Your commandments. I haven't loved as you have loved me, I haven't honored my mother and father, I have used your name in vain, I haven't kept the sabbath day a holy day, I have murdered, I have committed adultery, I have stolen, I have lied, I have wanted. Father, I haven't kept your commandments. Father, I ask You to help me to keep Your commandments. Father, I confess, I can't do it on my own. I'm not strong enough, I need you. Father, I do love You with all my heart, and Lord, I give my best to keep your commandments. I will fail you day to day, Father please forgive me. When I came to this conclusion, I didn't know what to think. I love my God with all my heart, but I have failed Him. I fall short and fail Him everyday. I have nothing to give, and He continues to love me with a full heart. He has given me so much that it is worth being obedient and doing what He asks. We may not have the resources, but believing that He will provide, and He will. When God asked Moses to go, Moses refused, then God said, "who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the Lord? Now therefore, go, and I will be your mouth and teach you what you shall say." Exodus 4:11-12. Jesus also had said, "Go therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." Matthew 28:19. He just wants us to obey and do as He says. All He really asks is go. Take the first step and He will take the rest. For this week I will memorize the 10 commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment