Saturday, August 29, 2015

Philippians 2:3

"Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves."

don't be selfish. Being selfish is a strong word. Selfish-lacking consideration for others. That's a good definition. Have you shared with someone today? Anything at all? Maybe even for the most selfish people, how about a smile? Did you share that? I may be wrong in what I say, but my house is located, in my opinion, the most selfish place on earth. This is my first time out of the states, and I could care less about going back. You want to know my definition of America- self-centered, cocky, think about themselves, selfish, lazy, and only put themselves first. That's my definition of America, my opinion, but who cares about my opinion? Honestly? It's not about me, it's about you. The person to your right and your left. Instead of asking, have you shared with someone today, ask in a way Jesus would, have you loved someone today? Have you shared your love today? That's a big question too. Have you humbled yourself today and put someone before. Did you help pay for someone's groceries? Even though you are going to be late for work, did you help the older gentlemen put his lid on his coffee cup? Do you know what Jesus did with His disciples the night before He was crucified? He had loved others. He loved others. He put Himself lower than the dirt on the bottom of His disciples feet. He got down on His hands and knees and washed his disciples feet in a bowl. All twelve of them. Do you know what He did next? I had just stated it. He loved you and I with a full heart, and went to the cross. He died for you and I so that we can spend eternity in heaven with Him. It's difficult thinking of others as better than yourself. It's hard to swallow your pride. I've gone down that road more than once, and it flat out hurts. It feels like swallowing rose bush thorns. Being prideful is going to cause your brother to stumble. That's another big word, pride. It means to have a feeling or pleasure or satisfaction derived from ones own achievement. Have you had your piece of humble pie today as Kelli would say. I ask myself that almost every day. And on some days, I haven't had my piece of pie, and when I do, I can tell you that that piece of pie is disgusting. But every time I bring myself to swallow every last crumb of that pie, I would like to say that God is giving me a round of applause. I'm not perfect and I'm one of the biggest sinners in the world. To be prideful, Psalm 138:6, "though the Lord is on high, yet He regards the lowly; but the proud He knows from afar." To be selfish, James 3:16, "for where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there." For this week I will write on a notecard and place it above my bed these two versus to remind myself to put others before me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment