Friday, August 21, 2015

John 14:18

"I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."

I've been through situations where my parents have fought and split, but they never got divorced. They were always able to come back together. They've been able to make it work out. I wouldn't know what it's like to be fatherless, or even motherless. Both of my parents were around when I was growing up. They still are. I know a couple people that don't have both their parents around. I wouldn't know what it's like but I'll say what I can. Both of my parents were always at work but I kind of had a second set of parents when my parents weren't around. My aunt and uncle where home, my uncle worked till 4ish, and was home around 430, and my aunt was always home. My mom would take us to school in the morning, go to work around 9ish. My dad left for work around 530 in the morning. Way to early for me. Then he would be home around 615. Just in time for dinner. Now that I think about it and look back at how different my life would be without my dad around, it's crazy. At least once a week in the morning, he would come and say goodbye, tuck us in again, give us a kiss good morning with coffee breath, and leave for work. Would come home in the evenings, sometimes he was early, sometimes he was late, but always came home. If he was early he was making dinner. It wasn't always that kind of manly dinner with steak every meal. Sometimes he would take five different left overs, throw them all into a pan, add a little salt and pepper, and dinner is ready. He would always have a three course meal too. The food pyramid was important. After dinner we were back to homework, I would usually leave my math homework to have him help me on it. Reading and writing which I was disgusted of, was left with my mom. She enjoyed it and was good at it. Then there came a time where I passed my dad in math problems, which I always thought was hilarious. He stopped at algebra, or simple math kind of stuff, then the alphabet was added into the problems and he began to look at a different language. Then I was asking my older brother for help, and I didn't care for that, he wasn't a good teacher. After math was doing chores and taking care of the animals, then getting ready for bed and dessert. My dad would sometimes take care of the chickens and the pigs, turkeys, or horses. He liked having chickens around, it was nice. We didn't have to buy eggs, which was cool because the eggs we got were so good, and sometimes HUGE! Showers came first, then we had marble ice cream waiting for us in the freezer. My dad always had a sweet tooth for chocolate, I can see where I get it from. I didn't used to. He would take the chocolate syrup and dunk his ice cream, and I would take some skittles if I had any and mix those in or strawberry syrup and dunk my ice cream. My brothers would take the chocolate or none and my sister would take no syrup but defiantly ice cream. She would always take the longest in the shower so she was last to get ice cream. Then to brushing our teeth and time for bed. We would go climb in bed, and dad would come tuck us in and say goodnight. Moms next, I can hear in the back of my mind, "give me a kiss goodnight." It was always fun teasing her about it. 
I look back and my life would've been a whole lot different without a dad. Being fatherless is scary to think about. Instead of being a little kid, now my dad helps me on insurance, car payments, working on my car, you know, the boring stuff. I've now got another father in my life. A father that loves me just like my biological father does. A father, that shows me the light if I'm walking in darkness. A father that has a divine power all over the earth. I love him with my whole heart. He has sent His son to redeem me of my sins, He shows me truth in His word. He is someone that I can look to when I am weak and will give me strength to push forward. Tonight, I will ask pastor Jim if I can call my dad and talk with him for a little bit and tell him that I love him!

No comments:

Post a Comment